On 6th December 2017 Miguel Vives Signes the official Cronista (Chronicler) of Gata de Gorgos kindly gave a guided historical tour of Gata to 34 residents from Gata Residencial.
We all learnt a lot more about our village and in particular about the typical ceramic plaques some of which have been declared of historic interest, the historic buildings and bridges and the religious traditions and legends of the town.
The group extends special thanks to Miguel Signes for the interesting tour and also to Sally Merrett who not only organised the tour but also translated everything from Castellano to English for the benefit of the group, and took some excellent photos.
The route was as follows:
GUIDED HISTORICAL TOUR – streets, church and Ermita of Gata de Gorgos
6th December 2017
Start at 10.30 h.
Group from Gata Residencial
Start Plaza Iglesia
Explanation in the Square
1. Church bell tower 1963
2. Church history 1573
3. House of the Garcias C18 & C19th
4. Plaza, House of Lords C15th
5. Public Fountain 1944
6. Friday Market 1933
7, 1st Traditional ceramic – Religious Plaque EXALTATION OF THE EUCHARIST (Assets of Local Relevance, 2007)
8. Visit to the interior of the church
Through C/Doctor Gómez Ferrer
9. Street names
10. Old pylon/ pillar?
11. 2nd Religious Plaque HOLY CHRIST OF CALVARY
3rd Religious Plaque – SAN ANTONIO ABAD
Through C/ Signes
13. Manor Houses
14. CA CURRO, butcher’s
15. 4th Religious Plaque – SAN ISIDRO LABRADOR Novena — 9 days Religious Celebration 1880-1890
16. 5th Religious Plaque – ÀNGEL DE LA GUARDA 1880-1890.
17. 6th. Religious Plaque – MARA AUXILIADORA
18. C/ OBISPO CERVERA PLATE (1707-1777) – FR. JUAN BAUTISTA CERVERA I SIGNES. Bishop of the Canary Islands & Cádiz
19. 7th Religious Plaque: SAN ANTONIO ABAD.
Before & another after the civil war
20, 8th Religious Plaque -ST. LUCIA 1880-1890
21.9th Religious Plaque-VIRGIN OF THE DESAMPARADOS (Needy)
22. 10th Religious Plaque – S. ANTONIO ABAD
23. C/ Calvario
24. Train tracks, 1915. Renovations to be opened in 2019.
25. CALVARIO, VIA CRUCIS – Way of the Cross with 14 stations 1905; after the war.
26. OLD PARISH CEMETERY 1886
27. Small Square DE LA ERMITA THE CROWN OF THE VIRGIN.
28. OUTSIDE VIEW. 1762 MIRACLE / LEGEND of”L’ARBRE BLANC”
29. INTERIOR ERMITA. IMAGE. We will stop here for our snack
30. The Descent from the Ermita
31. THE NEW BRIDGE, VIEW OF THE 4 BRIDGES: ROAD, TRAIN, NEW AND FIRST URBAN.
33, View THE SMALL LEPROSY HOUSE 1891-1918.
Down C/ San Jose
34. Visit THE SCHOOL GROUP “SANTiSIMO CRISTO”. 1958
On the School Group Hill
35. 1st URBAN BRIDGE 1931.
36. PLAZA DEL VICARIO. Vicarage Carving: Santisimo Cristo del Calvario
Finish in the Plaza Iglesia